This may appear to be a ‘dream job’, spending your working hours on some of the world‘s most beautiful beaches, but there’s more to being an ALS NSW lifeguard. You must hold and maintain the valid qualifications, pass regular fitness and competency tests and be willing and able to take on the responsibility of keeping hundreds and perhaps thousands of beachgoers safe.
Where possible, lifeguards are recruited through the volunteer base Surf Life Saving provides, ensuring in most cases, selected employees have extensive experience in aquatic public safety and local knowledge. We continue to build strong relationships and partnerships with volunteer surf clubs across NSW and this in turn delivers a better community service outcome to local Government authorities and land managers.
The ALS NSW provides a variety of employment opportunities for prospective lifeguards including full time, seasonal and casual employment. Our lifeguards must uphold the values of the ALS and always deliver a professional, helpful and courteous service to the public.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
To be part of our industry leading world-class organisation, our lifeguards must be 17 years or over and demonstrate high levels of fitness, excellent rescue and people skills, and hold the following qualifications:
- Surf Life Saving Bronze Medallion/Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID007 – Provide Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- Silver Medallion Beach Management (including components PUATAE002B, PUAOPE027A, BSBFLM312C)
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue
- Current Motor Car Drivers Licence (Provisional or higher
All lifeguards must pass the following fitness component
- A minimum 400m swim, 800m run, 400m rescue board paddle and 800m run in the surf in under 25 minutes
- 800 metre pool swim (in a pool no less than 25 metres in length) in under 14 minutes
- Rescue scenarios utilising a Rescue Board and Rescue Tube
ALS TESTING DETAILS
2020-21 ALS Proficiency Testing Deatils
HOW TO APPLY
The ALS are always striving to improve our processes and services. We have therefore made changes to our application process, not only will it be easier and more streamlined this season but also in the future.
RETURNING 2019/20 LIFEGUARDS MUST REAPPLY ONLINE WITH THEIR USER NUMBER AND PASSWORD.
IF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR USER NO AND PASSWORD GO ONLINE:
- Enter your email and reset password
YOU MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING OTHERWISE YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE REGISTERED:
1. Update your personal details:
- Enter Date of Application
- 2020/21 Testing Details select which testing date you wish to attend
2. Update personal details if there are changes to your:
- Area of Employment
- Mobile Number
- Emergency Contact
- Renewed Drivers Licence
- Maiden Name
- Bank Details
- Superannuation Details (HESTA is the default fund used by Surf Life Saving Service) – if you are changing from BT or staying with BT you will have to complete the 2020/21 Superannuation form
- Uniform Size
3. Complete the 2020/21 Tax Declaration Form (this must be completed every season)
4. Complete the 2020/21 Induction Course
5. Complete the 2020/21 U18 Parental Permission Form (if applicable)
6. Upload your Current Surfguard Awards
7. Sign the 2020-21 Acknowledgement Statutory Declaration
1. Before you apply, you will need to have the following information at hand:
- Personal and emergency details
- Financial details – Bank/Superannuation/Tax File Number
- Uniform sizes
- Drivers’ licence
- Copies of your qualifications or SurfGuard award report – if you are unsure visit the SLSA Member Portal here.
- Awards and Qualifications Chart – If you need to know the awards criteria download the Awards and Qualifications Chart.
- 2020/21 Course Calendar – if you are missing a pre requisite award please visit the 2020/21 Course Calendar or ALA Courses in your region.
2. 2020-21 recruitment is now open! To apply go to ‘Apply Now’ at the bottom of this page once you have finished reading these next steps;
3. You will need to register with our online application and induction process using your name and email;
4. Fill out the personal details section;
5. Fill out all financial details (must be completed whether we have on file or not);
6. Attach all other relevant documentation (Under 18 Parental Consent Form, Working Visa etc.), if applicable;
7. Complete the online induction;
8. Attach all qualifications and/or SurfGuard report;
9. Complete and sign the online declaration;
10. Once your application and induction has been submitted you will receive a confirmation email once all details have been approved by the recruitment team.