This may appear to be a ‘dream job’, spending your working hours on some of the world‘s most beautiful beaches, but there’s more to being an ALS NSW lifeguard. You must hold and maintain the valid qualifications, pass regular fitness and competency tests and be willing and able to take on the responsibility of keeping hundreds and perhaps thousands of beachgoers safe.
Where possible, lifeguards are recruited through the volunteer base Surf Life Saving provides, ensuring in most cases, selected employees have extensive experience in aquatic public safety and local knowledge. We continue to build strong relationships and partnerships with volunteer surf clubs across NSW and this in turn delivers a better community service outcome to local Government authorities and land managers.
The ALS NSW provides a variety of employment opportunities for prospective lifeguards including full time, seasonal and casual employment. Our lifeguards must uphold the values of the ALS and always deliver a professional, helpful and courteous service to the public.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
To be part of our industry leading world-class organisation, our lifeguards must be 17 years or over and demonstrate high levels of fitness, excellent rescue and people skills, and hold the following qualifications:
- Surf Life Saving Bronze Medallion/Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- HLTAID003 or HLTAID011 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID007 or HLTAID015 – Provide Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- Silver Medallion Beach Management (including components PUATAE002B, PUAOPE027A, BSBFLM312C)
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue
- Current Motor Car Drivers Licence (Provisional or higher
All lifeguards must pass the following fitness component
- A minimum 400m swim, 800m run, 400m rescue board paddle and 800m run in the surf in under 25 minutes
- 800 metre pool swim continuously (in a pool no less than 25 metres in length) in under 14 minutes
- Rescue scenarios utilising a Rescue Board and Rescue Tube
ALS TESTING DETAILS
HOW TO APPLY
The ALS are always striving to improve our processes and services. We have therefore made changes to our application process, not only will it be easier and more streamlined this season but also in the future.
Please ensure you READ the following before you apply:
RETURNING 2020/21 LIFEGUARDS MUST REAPPLY ONLINE WITH THEIR USER NUMBER AND PASSWORD.
IF YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN YOUR USER NO AND PASSWORD GO ONLINE:
- Enter your email and reset password
YOU MUST COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING OTHERWISE YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE REGISTERED (ensure you read each question and double check your answers are correct):
- Complete the 2021/22 Induction Course (must be completed otherwise your application will not be registered)
- Update your personal details:
- Enter Date of Application
- 2021/22 Testing Details select which testing date you wish to attend
- Update personal details if there are changes to your:
- Area of Employment
- Mobile Number
- Emergency Contact
- Renewed Drivers Licence
- Maiden Name
- Bank Details
- Superannuation Details (HESTA is the default fund used by Surf Life Saving Service)
- Uniform Size
- Complete the 2021/22 Tax Declaration Form (this is compulsory every season)
- Complete the 2021/22 U18 Parental Permission Form (if applicable)
- Upload your Current Surfguard Awards
- Sign & Date the 2021/22 Acknowledgement Statutory Declarations (this must be completed every season)
Before you apply, you will need to have the following information at hand:
- Personal and emergency details
- Financial details – Bank/Superannuation/Tax File Number
- Uniform size
- Drivers’ licence
- Copies of your qualifications or SurfGuard award report – if you are unsure visit the SLSA Member Portal here.
- Awards and Qualifications Chart – If you need to know the awards criteria download the Awards and Qualifications Chart.
- 2021/22 Course Calendar – if you are missing a pre requisite award please visit the 2021/22 Course Calendar or ALA Courses in your region.
To apply you will need to register with our online application and induction process using your name and email.
- Complete the 2021/22 online induction
- Complete the personal details section
- Complete all financial details
- Attach all other relevant documentation (Under 18 Parental Consent Form, Working Visa etc.), if applicable
- Attach all qualifications and/or SurfGuard report
- Complete and sign the online Acknowledgement Statutory Declarations
Once your application and induction course has been submitted, and approved by the recruitment team, you will receive a confirmation email.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2021/22 SEASON ARE NOW OPEN!
To apply go to ‘Apply Now’ at the bottom of this page. We look forward to your application!