This may appear to be a ‘dream job’, spending your working hours on some of the world‘s most beautiful beaches, but there’s more to being an ALS NSW lifeguard. You must hold and maintain the valid qualifications, pass regular fitness and competency tests and be willing and able to take on the responsibility of keeping hundreds and perhaps thousands of beachgoers safe.
Where possible, lifeguards are recruited through the volunteer base Surf Life Saving provides, ensuring in most cases, selected employees have extensive experience in aquatic public safety and local knowledge. We continue to build strong relationships and partnerships with volunteer surf clubs across NSW and this in turn delivers a better community service outcome to local Government authorities and land managers.
The ALS NSW provides a variety of employment opportunities for prospective lifeguards including full time, seasonal and casual employment. Our lifeguards must uphold the values of the ALS and always deliver a professional, helpful and courteous service to the public.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
To be part of our industry leading world-class organisation, our lifeguards must be 17 years or over and demonstrate high levels of fitness, excellent rescue and people skills, and hold the following qualifications:
- Surf Life Saving Bronze Medallion/Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID007 – Provide Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- Silver Medallion Beach Management (including components PUATAE002B, PUAOPE027A, BSBFLM312C)
- Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue (Highly desirable – 2018/19 Season Minimum Requirement)
- Current Motor Car Drivers Licence (Provisional or higher)
The fitness assessment involves a 400m swim, 800m run, 400m rescue board paddle and 800m run at the beach – in under 25 minutes. Additionally, there is a 800 metre pool swim (completed in a pool no smaller than 25 metres in length) in 14 minutes or under, and a surf scenario involving a rescue board and rescue tube.
ALS TESTING DETAILS
Download the ALS Testing Details.
HOW TO APPLY
- Before you apply, it might be useful if you have the following information at hand:- Personal and emergency details– Details of qualifications – if you are unsure visit the SLSA Member Portal here.– Drivers Licence details
- Find the job you are interested in applying for in our job section.
- Complete the application form.
- Once your application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation email.
- Receive an email confirmation from ALS NSW that all awards have been approved/not approved.
- Receive confirmation of the testing day details and other documents you may need to bring on the day.
- Complete testing day.
- Receive a letter of employment if successful.
- Start working for the Australian Lifeguard Service and enjoy being a lifeguard on some of Australia’s best beaches.