Life Saving Victoria employs over 160 staff as Paid Lifeguards to protect the Victorian public during the peak summer season. Applications for lifeguards are sought annually from July to September with interviews and other recruitment processes taking place in October. All new lifeguards are expected to attend LSV’s Advanced Lifesaving Camp where they undertake scenario based activities, learn from content experts and understand how to lifeguard Victoria’s beaches effectively.
Appointments to beaches occurs each year in November and December.
For further information please contact the Lifesaving Operations Department on +61 3 9676 6930.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
To be part of our industry leading world-class organisation, our lifeguards must 17 years or over and demonstrate high levels of fitness, excellent rescue and people skills, and hold the following qualifications:
- Surf Life Saving Bronze Medallion/Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue)
- HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID007 – Provide Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- PUAEME004A – Provide Emergency Care for Suspected Spinal Injury (Spinal Management or equivalent)
- Silver Medallion Basic Beach Management (including components PUATAE002B, PUAOPE027A, BSBFLM312C)
- Current Motor Car Drivers Licence (Provisional or higher)
The fitness assessment involves a 400m swim, 800m run, 400m rescue board paddle and 800m run at the beach – in under 25 minutes. Additionally, there is a 800 metre pool swim (completed in a pool no smaller than 25 metres in length) in 14 minutes or under, and a surf scenario involving a rescue board and rescue tube.